Tuesday, May 1, 2007

oops?

*cough*
Er, hi. Again. Ok, I know I have been unfairly absent this past week. It has included a few days of cathartic doing nothing, a few days of crazy work (which there will be much, much more of), a little bit of knitting, and some cooking and stuff.

As for the knitting, I can't show you. Sorry. It's a gift, and it is so small that it should have been done ages ago... but right now I can't find any darning needles for some neccessary seaming and stitching.

I have been reading though! Take a look, won't you?



I am currently reading Gulliver's Travels, as I had never read the original, and now that I have the time, I'm enjoying a little Swiftian indulgence. (Anyone ever been driven positively *mad* by Swift's over Excessive Capitalization?)
Fear and Trembling and The Sickness Unto Death is a compilation of those two works (originally published separately), and I have had it open for almost a year now. I'll get through it soon, I promise! (Kierkegaard is heavy reading.)
Dracula. Also, another classic which I have never read in the original. I have yet to start it, but I will get there once Gulliver completes his travels.
And finally, some eye candy. I have a friend who works in a fahbulous local quilte shoppe (It's called Satin Moon, they have a website, check them out). And I went to visit her and now have an urge to... expand my textile repertoire... (Because I can afford another stashable hobby?)

Ooh, another small knitting note. I am looking for a new project. I am kicking around a ton of cabled designs and will likely make a big (BIG) pieced cabled afghan over time, as it's going to be just too darned hot to make one big blanket.

I also would like to maybe play with some lace this summer. Does anyone know of any good, not complete beginner, but obviously not Orenberg lace patterns? (Be they scarf, shawl, or whatever. I will probably just find someone to give it away to, since I have no personal need for lace, I am all about the technique and process with this project.)

More post sooner, I promise!

4 comments:

  1. Be warned, Patchwork and quilting is very addictive and very expensive. Once you start, there is no end to it. Great you are spreading your wings though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you have probably heard this before, but I really enjoyed knitting Branching out from Knitty as one of my first lacey things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one is a good starting lace pattern just to get you use to the yarn overs and counting.

    http://www.knitlist.com/99gift/shell-and-wave-shawl.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure they will revoke any goth street cred I may have for saying this (and I have precious little to begin with), but Dracula was the. worst. book. I. ever. slogged. through.

    It's like reading a Victorian Era LiveJournal, but without the pierced nipples. Mina! Lucy! Just GET IT ON already!

    ReplyDelete

Please include an e-mail address so I can reply privately!